Saturday 7 May 2016

Mission Accomplished


As viewers might recall, The River Nairn Swans and Waterfowl Trust was awarded £800 from the Nurturing Nairnshire event organised by Highland Region,  I put forward a plan to spend around £500 on various Trees , bushes and shrubs for lower riverside enhancement. The remaining £300 was to be spent on the bird rescue and rehab service at Douglas street. 


                         I can report that around 140 items have been planted and I am hopeful that over the years to come this will have a positive effect and add extra colour and fragrance to the riverside, as well as providing food for the birds. The species planted were Bird cherry, Rowan, Hawthorn, honeysuckle, broom, Scotch rose, and Gooseberry.
As for the bird rescue and rehab service, I am currently caring for 42 ducklings and 3 mother ducks which is full capacity until some of these are safely released to the river. 


The cost of this care is considerable, and involves provision of feed, bedding and heat. Previous posts include the building of a new Aviary and coop - now occupied by a mother duck and 13 ducklings.


This cost £480 and was met by the trust, ( I should have applied for a bigger share of the nurturing Nairnshire funding ! ) All in all the money was well spent, and I think if only everyone utilised money as well as the trust - the world would be a better place. Mission Accomplished ....for now !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awefy lot of "I"s for what is a team effort is it not?

jayteescot1 said...

Aye the 160 Trust members make a good team, I just do my bit.