Friday 8 June 2012

Each To it's Own

































I note that the Nairn Seagulls are now hatching their young and it won't be long before we hear all the complaints about Seagull attacks , mess etc. Each year I get a first hand view of my neighbours rooftop nest site. I have often watched with great interest, intrigued by the whole evolutionary process. It's fascinating to compare species and their needs and priorities for survival. The young gull chicks of a week or so have quite an advanced wingspan when tiny, compared to their body size. If you compare that to the swan cygnet which has a tiny wingspan even when a month old,(compare the top pics). Both species priorities are different because the gulls have to learn to fly quickly, whereas the swans ability to swim and reach down for food is more important - hence the growth of the neck length is a priority. The gull parents have to provide all the chicks food, but the Swan cygnets have to get their own. Most gulls lay 3 eggs, and in this case it appears one hasn't hatched, the camouflage of the young chicks is excellent of course.














2 comments:

grovecanada said...

http://groveart.weebly.com/2/post/2012/06/dancing-with-swans-yes-real-swans.html This is a link to a video I embedded on my website blog...It is about real Mute Swans dancing with people onstage...I thought of you when my aunt sent me the article...Please take a look...It is amazing! Sri

jayteescot1 said...

Interesting Sari, but I'm careful not to have any imprinting on me as far as the cygnets are concerned. They have to survive in the wild and the parents are best equipped to teach them. The parents tolerate me feeding them, but I make a point to actually avoid hand feeding the young cygnets. Getting on with humans is fine, but they do have to leave and survive on their own.