Monday 14 May 2012

Cygnets Arrive !



My hatching date for the cygnets was pencilled in the calendar for the 14/15 May. Penny did not disappoint and even gave me a peek of what is going on today. My first glimpse was a tiny head sticking out from under a wing, after some time Penny decided to stand up and give me the first showing of her cygnets. I could count 5 heads but think that some are still in the process of hatching. Thank God the wind has eased and a ray of sunshine greeted the new brood, it is always special to witness the birth of a new brood of cygnets. Penny left them to the care of Popeye and went down to the Moat calling on her cygnets. She then decided they were not yet fit for the water and went back up to the nest where one cygnet had clambered over the side. Both parents gave it a close inspection, then Penny climbed back onto the nest for a preen and look at her new brood. After a while she settled down again to continue with the hatch. I estimate there should be at least 9 cygnets assuming they all hatch of course, more later !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL DONE JOE--AL YOUR HARD WORK WAS WORTH IT.

jayteescot1 said...

Thanks, but the honours really go to the Swans for making our river their domain. I just keep an eye out and make sure they don't starve over the lean times !