Tuesday 21 June 2011

Gotcha !


One of the Mink that has been terrorising the local wildlife for the past year has finally been caught ! On my normal morning rounds I was pleased to see one of the recently installed traps had a new resident, I was even more pleased when I realised it was the adult which I featured in yesterdays post. I have no doubt this Mink was responsible for many duckling deaths over the past year too. If you are wondering how I know it's the same one, it has a white patch under it's chin. I was amazed at what a strong musky smell came from the animal and have been told that this smell is what will attract other mink to the trap. I know we have at least 3 or 4 mink in the first half mile of the river, and as part of the eradication program the traps will be around for some time yet. Many bird lives and other vulnerable species will be saved by the mink eradication program.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good work! one more of the menace gone, but if there's 1 there will be many more! now is a good time to go find their dens, the bitches will be with their young and a good terrier should prove invaluable!

jayteescot1 said...

I believe that 30 have been caught on the river Nairn since January. I am told using the same trapping method on the river Ythan cleared the river completely of mink in 4 years. This is the most effective and humane way of doing it.