Sunday 8 May 2011

Superduck is Serial Ducknapper !


Our fantastic Superduck Mum turns out to be a serial adopter ! Later today I found out why our superduck brood has grown yet again to 21. The previous 2 posts show that she seems to have started with 16 ducklings which grew to 18 yesterday. This evening with my own eyes I saw a new mum on the moat with 6 ducklings, The superduck with 18 appeared, and during the mingling I saw 3 of the new brood tag along with the mother of 18. She trotted off onto the island followed by the now 21 ducklings ! The new mother with 3 remaining did not seem to be put out by this at all. I also believe the first adopted two, probably came from a mother with a brood just above the Merryton bridge who has 4 ducklings. She also frequents the same area under the large willow tree, and the ducklings are all about the same age and size. I would not be at all surprised if this is the same Mum that last year had 21 ducklings half of which belonged to another duck !....so now we know. Enclosed pics of the latest adopted brood, and video clip of Superduck and 18, just minutes before it became 21.




No comments: