Sunday 3 April 2011

Stuck with Steven Seagull

After 8 months I decided to contact the SSPCA about a home for Steven the Seagull. It appears they do not have any permanent sanctuary facilities for poor Steven. Ideally what is required is someone with a pond who would be prepared to feed and care for him. I tried my best to get him to fly but his mended wing is just not up to the job. I have kept him outdoors throughout the 8 months, so he is pretty robust. I have thought of putting him in the river for the summer and bringing him back for the winter. He appears to be able to look after himself ok, but I would worry that he would be attacked and killed. Meanwhile he is pushing his weight around and starting to enter the house when looking for something to do ! I try to keep him entertained with a variety of objects, and he has plenty of bird company as well. Millie is cowed by him and is wary of that beak ! (See vids below.) I may end up stuck with him though !













3 comments:

grovecanada said...

http://www.oers.ca/rescue/rescue.html Hello! The link is to OERS Rescue & rehabilitation, where you can read of other successful seagull rehabs where wing injuries occurred... You will notice that the cases they mention show at least a year before the seagull starts to be able to use the wing again...
So there is hope that Steven will fly again...
Sari Grove, GroveCanada
p.s. I was watching a tv show where the criminal arranges to delay the witness against him- almost succeeds- the district attorney starts to say 'well, since the witness against you has not shown up'... Just then the witness appears- has managed to get around the block...
I was wondering why the witness against that person who pushed you into the water didn't show up twice? Was the witness afraid? Or delayed by strange circumstance?

jayteescot1 said...

Hi Grovecanada, The seagull has improved a lot since I fixed the wing, however he cannot extend it fully. It also has a small twist which won't give him the right pitch when trying to fly. In a headwind he can keep airborne for only a few seconds when I throw him into the air. I don't mind him being around and It would be great if he could fly eventually, but I doubt it. As for the witness who did'nt turn up, he is a permanent sidekick of the guy who pushed me in -you can draw your own conclusions !

Debra Allan said...

LOL, poor Millie. You should have your own TV show, 'The dog and the seagull'!

Hope you've recovered from your bad news with the court, that's todays justice, ie crap! Just know that you do an amazing job in Nairn and it is appreciated by many. :-) x