Monday 14 June 2010

Best Laid Plans...

After taking everything into account regarding the release of the ducklings into the river on the 10th June, I thought it was the safest thing to do before they flew off from the garden. All seemed perfect until the 12th when one of them went missing, it was the youngest of the 4 but only by a few days, and in any case they were all around 7 weeks old and probably too big to be killed by herons crows or gulls. Today I spoke to one of the residents overlooking the island and was told that on the night of the 10th, an Otter was running riot on and around the island.

He said the ducks were scattering everywhere during the melee. In saying that, all four of my ducklings were still around on the 11th but on the 12th thats when I discovered one was gone.

I wonder if an Otter was the reason, I am quite sad about it, because the youngest was the cutest and used to walk round the garden fork when I was shaking it for worms.


It goes to show how many dangers are out there for the wildlife, and that the best laid plans can be thwarted.

Meanwhile Nipper the duckling is taking the place over, and is twice the size of it's siblings in the river. Enclosed video of the latest swim in the bath !

No comments: