Tuesday 9 February 2010

Goosed on the Beach !


Today I was anxious to check on the cygnets to see if they had returned after yesterdays flight.

I could only find 6 of them, so it looks as though two have paired up and probably gone for good.


While checking the beach area I noticed a greylag goose pecking around for food , it was in the river last weekend and appears to have been winged by a cowboy shooter.

It looks ok but missing it's two main flight feathers on it's right wing. I was astonished when it approached me when I made a few sounds to get it's attention, I got the impression it was hungry and proceeded to offer it some carrots and bird seeds. I was truly astonished when it came up and took the stuff out of my hand ! For a wild goose this is amazing, they are usually very wary of humans, I can only assume it is so hungry or someone has already been feeding it.

It was pecking at everything, and in the end I had to laugh for it was grabbing my camera strap and trousers etc. (see vids below.) After eating some grain it walked to the waters edge for a drink, sadly flapping it's wings as though trying to take off.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't seen the swans for a bit and was noting a lot of effluent and oil/diesel being around the red and white fishing boat. Glad to see they are ok on my last visit. Stay vigilant.

jayteescot1 said...

Anon, I published your comment above on this page since it was received today and relevant to today. I can assure you I am always vigilant on matters of pollution, and spoke to the skipper of the offending boat.
He was doing a bit of work and a small splash of diesel got into the harbour, he took immediate steps to remedy the situation, so no real harm done today.