Friday 8 January 2010

Keep Feeding the Birds !


With the Big freeze continuing into next week and maybe beyond, this looks like a new record on the cards. I remember the winter of 1981-2 the temperature locally fell to about -18, however this was short lived and did not last anymore than a few days. The river is now freezing all over except the areas of fast flowing water. In some ways this is a blessing for the Swans and ducks for they are not entirely trapped by the ice, and the Swans can still get at some of the seaweed that is growing on the rocks ! Many other wildfowl will be suffering badly with their ponds and lochs frozen solid. I noticed the duck with the damaged bill is still on the go, she and her mates were walking on the ice earlier today. Garden birds are going through food as if it was going out of fashion, and the word seems to be getting around. I have a dozen or so Chaffinches joining the sparrows, blackies, robins, pigeons starlings etc etc. I also have to put out water daily, for it freezes solid every night. I prepare a mixture of chopped peanuts with wild bird seed, and any old cheese that I grate, along with biscuit and cake crumbs. I urge everyone to do what they can to help the birds through the worst weather for a generation !













2 comments:

Cookie said...

I put out a large gingerbread house left over from Christmas as well as the usual fat balls etc...there's been some rammies over it as the blackbirds and thrushes fight to keep it for themselves.

jayteescot1 said...

I think the Blackies are quite territorial, I have one or two here that spend as much time chasing others as they do eating ! In saying that, I have a Robin and Wagtail that have an attitude problem as well.