Tuesday 26 January 2010

Big Garden Bird Watch


This coming weekend is the RSPB's annual big garden birdwatch. Everyone is invited to observe and record for 1 hour the highest number of each species you see at any one time in your garden or local park. You can participate using the RSPB website online form. www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch . This can be done anytime over the 30-31 Jan and provides a useful snapshot of the state of the country's birdlife.

This year will be particularly interesting because of the harshest winter for decades, and a drop in the number of small birds is expected due to the severe cold over the past month ! The results will be released in march on the RSPB website.

I joined the RSPB a few years ago and have done the garden birdwatch before, I find observing birds enjoyable anyway. What I have noticed in my own garden is the lack of coal tits and blue tits this year, I fear they are such small birds they have suffered badly with the cold icy conditions. On the other hand I have about a dozen chaffinch which are regular visitors this year. I have been doing my bit along the river by putting down mixed birdseed and crushed peanuts at strategic locations. It seems to have helped since a variety of birds turn up daily for their food.
On the subject of food, the Cygnets enjoyed a dessert of Spinach today, this was after their usual carrots and wholemeal bread. (see vid )


No comments: