Tuesday 27 October 2009

Scottish Water Video Nasty !

Have just been emailed a link to an interesting video taken by Scottish Water on the perils of disposing of fat down the sink ! I wonder if it was Nairns drains that were the stars ?
http://www.scottishwater.co.uk/portal/page/portal/SWE_PGP_NEWS/SWE_PGE_NEWS/INFO_HUB_CAMP/INFO_CAMP_FAT

I have to say, having dealt with my own septic tank and drainage system for over 25 years. I have some experience in clearing blocked drains due to fat . The interesting thing is that we never ever disposed of fat down the drains but still got blocked drains every few years due to fat ! The reason is quite simply that every time you wash the dishes, or have a bath or take a shower a residue of fat / oil goes down the drain. When this hits the slow colder area of the septic tank inlet, it forms a skin of fat which through time builds up leading to a blockage.
The same thing applies to Scottish waters sewer system except on a much larger scale.
I used to avoid blockages by having an annual rodding session of the drains leading to the septic tank. I would suggest to Scottish water to follow my 25 years experience and do an annual rodding /pressure washing of the drainage system if you want to avoid blockages due to fat !
Nairns fat Problem solved ! (:o)

No comments: