Friday 16 October 2009

Duck Billed Ugly Pus


Having successfully treated Sonny the Seagull , it looks as though I will try the same treatment on a poor duck which appears to have a very severe infection of it's Bill.


I first noticed the duck a week or two ago, but did not realise that the tip of it's bill was being eaten away with disease until I took a photo and had a close look on the computer. (click on the pic for a close look).

It looks quite shocking, and is affecting the upper and lower parts of it's bill. Considering that the poor duck needs to use it's bill to prod and sift the riverbed for food, I feel compelled to at least have a go and try and arrest the infection. It is a wild duck and otherwise seems healthy enough, how it got such an infection I can only speculate. I know it tends to filter and sift the area close to the merryton bridge, who knows what kind of bacteria it picked up in the process ?

I started it on a course of antibiotics today, so we will see what happens in the coming weeks.

They may be wild creatures but as everyone knows if you had a sick pet bird or animal in the house you would have it treated, I see no difference between wild and domestic in this regard.

No comments: